Saturday, March 1, 2008

Tennessee's High Point - "Clingmans Dome"

28th May 2006

We went straight from North Carolina's Mt Mitchell to Tennessee's high point Clingmans Dome at 6,643feet. We drove on the famed and picturesque Blue Ridge Parkway and made our way towards the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee which was starting to be one of my favourite places. The scenery was so pretty, and there seems to be heaps of things to do and visit. As it was nearly summer and it was the weekend, the area was quite busy with visitors including seeing kids swimming in a river as we drove past. I really wanted to stop and hang out but we were on a mission, and we had to go back to work the next day!

Clingmans Dome is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the Smoky Mountains, and it felt like that in the parking lot! Boy was it busy, but then again it was a beautiful warm day to be out and about! The guide book had said it was a short walk from the parking lot to the Dome structure high point. It didn't feel short as we hiked up the paved steep path up the hill. I wasn't kidding when I said steep too! It felt like ages, and because we were walking with the sun shining from one side, my left arm was sunburned afterwards! When you reached the top, we walked up a windy ramp up to the top of the Dome which rewarded us with a fantastic view on the mountain range. This was one of the most picturesque high points we had visited so far, and it made me want to explore the Smoky Mountains further so I knew I would have to make another trip back. Plus, I wanted to try so good southern Tennessee smoked ribs and bbq!

No comments: